The CANSSI Graduate Student Exchange Scholarships (CANSSI-GSES) program provides partial support for graduate students at a Canadian university to visit another Canadian university for an extended period of time. The program is designed to foster acquisition of new knowledge and skill sets, exposure to new areas of research and application, co-discovery of new statistics, and co-supervision of thesis research.
Scholarships are available to Masters and PhD students currently enrolled in a graduate degree program in statistics at a CANSSI member university. The host university must be a CANSSI member. Participating students are required to maintain registration at their home university during the tenure of the award.
Duration of a proposed visit is at least 2 months for Masters students and at least 4 months for PhD students. Scholarship funds can be used for travel and accommodation. Award amounts are subject to one-to-one matching with travel funds provided by the home and hosting universities. CANSSI-GSES scholarships may provide up to $2000 CAD for a Masters student and $3500 CAD for a PhD student.
- A cover page (available here)
- An up-to-date grade record
- A brief outline of the intended research program (0.5 page)
- A letter of reference from the student’s supervisor which confirms the current registration status of the student and suitability for undertaking research with the co-supervisor as a visiting graduate student
- A letter from the proposed academic co-supervisor demonstrating interest in and support for the visit
- A budget for the visit that includes a description of non-CANSSI financial support to be provided for travel, accommodation and meals matching the requested CANSSI support
Successful applicants will be expected to write a brief report, describing their experience and describing the research accomplishments resulting from the visit.